NYPD Pays Out Nearly $1Billion in Lawsuits in Past Decade

In what some may see as a shocking report released last week, the Associated Press revealed that nearly $1 billion in payouts came from the NYPD in the past 10 years. For everything from police cruiser auto accidents to brutality cases, the cost accumulated over ten years for a grand total of about $964 million.

Anytime someone sues the city, the taxpayers end up footing the bill. According to the AP, the New York City Attorneys call the money simply the cost of policing 8.3 million people. And when compared with such costs in other large cities, this largest police force in the nation is spending the most.

City payouts come when citizens sue, for a variety of reasons. Although it’s said over 90% of citizens believe their encounters with police are appropriate, the other 10% are likely the beneficiaries of these complaints. Suing someone or an organization, as in this case, is considered a civil matter—far different from the proceedings in a criminal court.

But, often times the civil case against the city is tied to a criminal case. In situations of wrongful convictions, the defendant who may have served time for a crime he never committed can sue the city for compensations.

Similarly, if you are arrested for a crime like disorderly conduct and the police used excessive force, you may have a civil case worth pursuing.

As a criminal defense lawyer, I am concerned with your criminal case. When you are facing a potential prison sentence, how the police acted during the arrest process is crucial. We may not be fighting for a payout but we are fighting for your freedom.

The police must follow certain rules and procedures when placing someone under arrest, whether they take you in on a warrant or if they pull you over for DUI, for example. Stepping outside of these rules and procedures could result in the criminal case against you being thrown out of court.

If, for instance, the police neglect to advise you of your right to remain silent and your right to an attorney (known as the Miranda Rights) before questioning you, that information they get during questioning may not be admissible as evidence, seriously weakening the case against you, barring any other evidence the state may have.

These are the sort of things your defense attorney will help you analyze as you get ready for court. Whether you were beaten by police or just treated in a manner that was unfair and potentially violated your rights, I may be able to help.

Contact our offices today for a free consultation on your criminal case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *